Patti E. Hard,

M.S., L.M.F.T., C.A.D.C., A.A.S.E.C.T.
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, Certified Sex Terapist, Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor  |  Lexington Kentucky


When You Have Pain with Sex

Although men can have pain with sex, more often it is women who have pain. This can be very upsetting to both partners. And it certainly can interfere with healthy sexuality.

It becomes important to assess what may be causing the pain. Vaginal dryness, vaginal atrophy, or other pelvic pain disorders may be the cause. Specific treatments can help. But some of the issue may reside within the couple.

Often the couple have become hurt or angry as a result of the sexual dysfunction. Or the hurt or anger may arise from other issues in the relationship. This hurt or anger can lead to tense muscles. Tense muscles aggravates pain with sex. Sometimes the husband not wanting to hurt his wife, may try to hurry through sex. This doesn't help sex get better. It just helps the pain get over faster. Sometimes this can lead the husband to develop premature ejaculation. This pattern can happen in reverse also. Hurry up, premature ejaculation can lead to painful sex for the woman.

One of the ways a sex therapist, relationship therapist can help is to sort through what may be happening to cause the pain. Then solutions can be implemented.


Patti E. Hard, M.S.  |  1517 Nicholasville Road, Lexington, KY 40503  |  859-278-4364